Mpigi Water Supply, operated by Trandint Ltd.
Mpigi water supply is operated by Trandint Ltd. supplying 1383 connections. With a sound Non-Revenue Water Reduction Strategy they arrived at an average collection efficiency of 96% (from 53% before) and an average NRW of 18% from more than 30% before). Staff attending WAVE training programmes on NRW and CCO have initiated the described reduction. In-house training of all staff on the benefits of NRW reduction and NRW action plan implementation are now part of the company policy to ensure sustainability of the achieved results. They are dedicated to NRW reduction after having seen and appreciating the enormous benefits.
Contact: Kalaali Minsach | Phone: +256774962710 | klminsach(at)gmail.com | Trandint Ltd.
All water operators should give a sound Non-Revenue Water Reduction Strategy more attention in order to improve effectiveness and efficiency of the performance of their water supply system.
Reduce the amount of Non-revenue water from a value of 30% to less than 20% in two years and increase the collection efficiency.
- Water theft: heavy penalties have been put in place for whoever is caught that is, a minimum of Ushs 500,000 as fine depending on the magnitude of the loss.
- Removal of control valves before the meter to stop people from removing of water meters in order to use unmetered water. This also reduces on the leaks at customer points.
- 100% metering efficiency to avoid unmetered consumption. 100% billing efficiency to avoid unbilled metered consumption. This is possible by ensuring timely reading of all water flow meters.
- We have put our telephone contacts on water bills to ensure timely reporting of leaks.
- Leak-repair register has been put in place to ensure timely attention & follow up to leaks.
- Community awareness about the importance of reporting leaks and water theft since they are the end beneficiaries. NRW does not only deny the water system money, but imposes costs on the customers.
- Increased monitoring of system to detect unreported leaks and to catch water thieves.
With the increased customer base, with community sensitization and operator experience through capacity building (by WAVEplus programs), currently all of the above mentioned issues could be improved. Average billings are approximately 16 million UGX with average collection efficiency of 96% and an average NRW of 18%. The average cost of production is now at 1300UGX/m3.
In-house training of all staff on the benefits of NRW reduction and of NRW action plan implementation are now part of the company policy. Staff are now dedicated to NRW reduction strategies after having seen and appreciating the benefits.
Staff attending WAVEplus training programmes on NRW and CCO have initiated the described project. They came back from the NRW training with action plans for NRW, convinced the management and started to implement. They were supported by APWO Uganda (Association of Private Water Operators), the Ministry of Water and Environment, GIZ and Mpigi Water Authority.